Joan McAninch Samuelson (’69)

The Lone Star College Board of Trustees awarded the title of Professor Emerita to Joan McAninch Samuelson (’69), LSC-Kingwood during the May board meeting.
“Lone Star College is proud of the selfless dedication of Dr. Samuelson,” said Mario K. Castillo, J.D., LSC chancellor. “Her work has transformed the lives of students and colleagues and the title of Emerita is an expression of the college’s gratitude for her outstanding service.”
Upon the chancellor’s recommendation, the Board may confer the “Emerita” title upon retiring faculty, administrators or staff to recognize significant contributions to the college through long and distinguished service in administration, teaching, support, or other service.
Samuelson was one of the founding faculty members of LSC-Kingwood in 1984 and retired this May after 40 years of service. As a dedicated English professor, she has won numerous innovation and faculty fellow awards, helped launch LSC Honors College, and was a pioneer in Online Learning, having taught online courses before LSC had a dedicated LMS. Additionally, she worked as a website designer for LSC-Kingwood before the system-wide site.
“Over the past 40 years as an educator, I hope I listened to my students because it was always the students themselves I watched and learned from. They were sharp, funny and gently demanded that teachers do their best every day,” said Samuelson. “To receive Emerita status from the institution (Lone Star College) that so long ago took a chance on me, who was only out of graduate school for a few years and a new high school teacher, is a lovely gift and humbling. I have had a distinguished career because the colleagues who hired and worked with me gave me a chance, inspired me and supported my every step.”
Samuelson received two faculty excellence service awards at LSC-Kingwood, was the faculty senate president (1992-1994) and twice served as department chair. She earned a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees from the University of Houston and a Ph.D. from Ohio State University.
Emerita privileges at Lone Star College include:
• The presentation of an appropriate commemorative.
• Listing in the college’s annual catalog for the honoree’s life.
• Invitation to the annual May commencement ceremonies with special seating privileges.
• Introduction and recognition during the commencement program.
• Invitations to other college activities and special events.
Enrollment is now open for the summer and fall semesters. Visit LoneStar.edu for more information on how LSC can help you start or continue your educational journey.

Submission Rules…

By submitting a class note, you agree:

• All Class Notes are visible to the general public. Do not submit anything you wish to keep private.
  • The University of Houston reserves the right to edit all submissions.
  • No Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation is permitted.
  • Unauthorized copyrighted material will be deleted.

Learn More