Tyrone Green (’03)

Shadow Creek promotes Tyrone Green to head football coach
By Ted Dunnam, Staff writer
Feb 14, 2024

PEARLAND — Fueled with the mentality associated with offensive linemen, Tyrone Green makes no secret of what he plans to instill as Shadow Creek’s second head football coach.

“I played football at the University of Houston, and the grit and toughness are what I’m going to bring to the program,” Green said. “We have good foundations here, but we’re going to try to take this thing to the next level and talk more about being family.

“We want to hold these players and coaches accountable in everything. That will be my first steps, along with being a great relationship builder with the kids and community.”

Green, 43, was hired Tuesday night at an Alvin Independent School District board meeting to replace Brad Butler at the helm of the Sharks program.

It shouldn’t be a difficult move for Green, who had served as the team’s assistant head coach in each year its existence.

“Having been here since we started in 2016 and seeing the building go up, it should be a smooth transition” Green said. “I’m familiar with how everything works in the school district, and I couldn’t be happier than to be at this place.”

Born and raised in Mississippi, Green graduated from Shannon (Miss.) High School. He then played junior college football at Itawamba Community College in Fulton, Miss., before landing in Houston.

“In 2000, I came to UH when Dana Dimel got the job as head coach,” Green said.

Green secured his bachelor’s degree in sociology from UH, then earned his master’s degree in educational leadership from Stephen F. Austin, where he also obtained his principal’s certificate.

After college, Green worked as an offensive line assistant for five years under longtime Lamar High School football coach Tom Nolen.

“Then I worked one year under Kirk Martin at Manvel before coming back to Lamar for another seven years,” Green said. “We had a lot of good teams there, and I was fortunate to be a coach on that 2012 team that played for the state championship against Allen.

“In 2016, coach Butler called me to come (to Shadow Creek) and help start the program as the assistant head football coach, and I’ve been here ever since.”

Green is fortunate that he can roll with the flow at Shadow Creek.

“I was lucky enough to be named interim head coach when coach Butler retired,” Green said. “My first order of business is to answer all these emails that popped up this morning. We’re about to embark on our boot camp, and I want to get in front of the kids and talk with them.

“I’m looking forward to meeting with administration and the coaches on the staff as well.”

Shadow Creek has fashioned records of 9-2, 11-3 and 9-3 the past three seasons. That means wholesale changes aren’t in order.

Chad Butler will be the Sharks’ new offensive coordinator, while Rene Glapion replaces Green as assistant head coach. Both are current staff members.

“I haven’t met with the staff, but I assume most will be back and we’ll just promote from within,” Green said. “We may have to hire one coach. Nothing major will change in the offensive and defensive schemes.”

At the Class 5A level, Shadow Creek posted a 31-1 record in 2018 and 2019. The Sharks advanced to the state championship game both times and earned a state crown in 2019, finishing a 16-0 season by beating Denton Ryan 28-22 in the title game.

Since the early days at Shadow Creek, Green has witnessed a population explosion in the Pearland area.

“It’s changed quite a bit,” he said. “They’re putting up houses and buildings everywhere along the (Highway) 288 corridor.

“The diversity in the Shadow Creek community is unmatched. There is a little bit of everything in the hallways — a lot of different cultures. When we first started here, the parking lot was half-empty. Now, if you don’t get here early enough, you won’t find any parking.”

Green and his wife, Brittany, have two children: Kaden, 4, and Kasen, 1.

“I live here, and my wife works in the school district,” Green said. “My kids go to day care just three minutes from the school. We’re all embedded in the Shadow Creek community.”

Green says he’s eager to take the reins of his first head coaching job, and he had no shortage of thanks to offer Nolen, Martin and Butler.

“What I learned from all three of them is that they had a great love for kids,” Green said. “They go over and beyond for kids and make sure they build great relationships.”

Green says he has a controlled eagerness about his first head coaching job.

“It’s been a goal, but I’ve been patient,” Green said. “This is my 21st year in coaching. I’ve never been in a rush. I just wanted the right situation, and it happened. I’m blessed.”

Feb 14, 2024
Ted Dunnam
SPORTS WRITER
Ted Dunnam is a sports writer for the Houston Chronicle. He can be reached at tdunnam@houstonchronicle.com.

An Alvin native, Ted is part of the Chronicle’s high school sports coverage team and has covered sports for the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, Abilene Reporter-News and Galveston County Daily News among other publications in an extensive career.

Submission Rules…

By submitting a class note, you agree:

• All Class Notes are visible to the general public. Do not submit anything you wish to keep private.
  • The University of Houston reserves the right to edit all submissions.
  • No Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation is permitted.
  • Unauthorized copyrighted material will be deleted.

Learn More